Welcome to Abyssal Gaming Network

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

[[Template core/front/global/updateWarning is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
SpitefulBatman

1.8 Update

14 posts in this topic

Hey Everyone!

Anyone Interested in continuing to play on the 2g1m survival server should probably heed this advice;

As 1.8 is being released, it is natural that you click the update button as soon as it appears. STOP! Backup your minecraft folder!!! (%appdata%/.minecraft) as we will not be clicking that button!

Windows 7/Vista:

1. Press Start

2. Type ' %appdata% ' and hit Enter

3. Create a Copy of the .minecraft folder on your desktop or somewhere else you will remember.

Windows XP

1. Open any Folder (My Documents, Folder on Desktop, Anything!)

2. Type ' %appdata% ' into the address bar and hit Enter

3. Create a Copy of the .minecraft folder on your desktop or somewhere else you will remember.

Mac OS

1. Who Knows

2. Who Cares

3. Who Bothers

Update:

For the few of us that are actually Mac Users (*gasps*) You can find everything under User/Library/Application Support/minecraft . If you're a little lost at first like I was just use Finder to locate your Library, click Application Support, and you'll find the Minecraft folder under there. Good luck to you :wacko:

Why Backup the whole folder including maps?

Because the new update could corrupt game saves, we don't know yet! Let's be safe!

The Server and Bukkit and many plugins are NOT being updated straight away. When we roll out a server update we will take a day or so to correctly move to a new map and import some old content. We will TRY to bring user data over, or try to delete unused chunks and simply allow the game to re-render most of them with the new generation system. Whatever it takes we will do our best. We cannot guarantee anything.

You will be given warning when we are about to do a map move, as such it is advised that you begin logging out in spawn for safety reasons until after any updates are done.

Until then, enjoy!

I don't think it will work well, the new terrain generation won't look nice with the old chunks. You may need to save all the buildings as schematics and just copy them over to a bran new map.

I heard that apparently to get all the new terrain and the npc and that randomness you basically have to generate a new map because 1.7 maps won't take to the new like the rivers and such but idk how the npc villages would work in multiplayer anyways. But hopefully someone things of a way to make the servers and such act right after these updates. And btw mac are over prices dirt blocks. =D

It will be just like the old terrain generation update. You will walk into a new chunk and it will generate all the new stuff, however the new chunks may make sheer cliffs between the old and new chunks.

For the few of us that are actually Mac Users (*gasps*) You can find everything under User/Library/Application Support/minecraft . If you're a little lost at first like I was just use Finder to locate your Library, click Application Support, and you'll find the Minecraft folder under there. Good luck to you :wacko:

1 person likes this

Kill it with fire!

Also, Jeb said that the release date will probably be next Monday now so we can party without worrying about backing up for now. *insert party*

Kill it with fire!

Also, Jeb said that the release date will probably be next Monday now so we can party without worrying about backing up for now. *insert party*

-Insert Cheap Confetti from Portal 2-

-Insert Cheap Confetti from Portal 2-

*insert cake*

Ye Mac user. -high five- ?

-high fives- My old laptop got sick over the summer, so since I'm going into graphic design, a Macbook Pro was a requirement for the course. I love it. I do know that someone else on the forums also uses a Mac, so I think it's safe to say a little info on helping us to keep playing Minecraft is appreciated!

It seems like the server updating would be pretty well pointless right now. Many seeds convert to ocean when updated, npc villages have issues(and a lack of npcs) and I have a general feeling 1.9 will greatly improve certain terrain issues.