Welcome to Abyssal Gaming Network

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

[[Template core/front/global/updateWarning is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
SpitefulBatman

Report: Next Xbox To Have No Disc Drive

9 posts in this topic

The next Xbox won't contain a physical disc drive, according to a new report.

A source close to British trade magazine MCV claims that Microsoft revealed this information under what it described as "the strictest NDA" they have ever encountered.

While the console will not contain a disc drive, according to the source, the report suggests it will contain "some sort of interchangeable solid-state card storage, although it is not known whether this will be proprietary or a more standard format such as SD."

MCV is also claiming that a 2013 release window for the hardware has been confirmed.

A move to digital-only distribution would be extremely unconventional for Microsoft; if there is any truth to this report, it would be a major blow for traditional retail. Microsoft has yet to officially deny the story.

In response to the report, Microsoft has said, "We are always thinking about what is next for our platform and how to continue to defy the lifecycle convention. Beyond that we do not comment on rumors or speculation."

What do you think about the latest murmuring about Microsoft's next console?

Source: http://au.xbox360.ign.com/articles/122/1220412p1.html

becouse there is safer and easier to deliver the game thrue downloads or a memorystick.

thats my guess.

not that it adds an gaming experience.. but the memory sticks read/write data is faster then most disc's. and can store more data

As previously noted, the speed will be improved. Also, in machines and computers, moving parts are usually considered some of the most likely fail points. If you don't have a disc drive, there's a lot less on the Xbox that has the potential to fail. Anyone remember the failing drives on the original Xbox? Those were like a plague...

As previously noted, the speed will be improved. Also, in machines and computers, moving parts are usually considered some of the most likely fail points. If you don't have a disc drive, there's a lot less on the Xbox that has the potential to fail. Anyone remember the failing drives on the original Xbox? Those were like a plague...

I was PS2 Noob before 360 lol. #Jak&Daxter

I don't think they would do this it would be stupid, as pro said many people enjoy playing old games, and as Sony learned if your get rid of backwards compatibility people will get pissed.

I'm fine with it to be honest my disk tray is broken anyway, sometimes I have to smack my xbox to make it open, which would most likely just add to the problem so I wouldnt mind.