Welcome to Abyssal Gaming Network

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

[[Template core/front/global/updateWarning is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

17 posts in this topic

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has noticed all the random and broken structures around the server and I think it would be nice if everyone could dedicate a weekend maybe to cleaning the server. If we were to pull this off we would need Moderator/Management support since the normal player is incapable of deleting doors/chests.

Of course this would have to be done carefully to ensure no actual buildings in use were to be destroyed.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Even though the server does indeed have some structures that could do with some fixing up or tearing down, most of them are from people who haven't been around for a while and whose houses have been griefed.

A house can change a whole lot in a week, and as some players have school, work, both or other things to handle with, they might not find the time to play.

Any attempt would have to be with extreme caution and preparation (like Moderators and Management checking how long it has been since the players were online, checking if the houses were built by players who were jailed/banned, etc.) and even then, players who, for example, have to take exams for school and devote a lot of time to that and therefor do not come on the server for 2-3 months (That's how long we have exams at University here), might end up coming back to an empty space.

Greetings,

Honorable Judge Gman

Even though the server does indeed have some structures that could do with some fixing up or tearing down, most of them are from people who haven't been around for a while and whose houses have been griefed.

A house can change a whole lot in a week, and as some players have school, work, both or other things to handle with, they might not find the time to play.

Any attempt would have to be with extreme caution and preparation (like Moderators and Management checking how long it has been since the players were online, checking if the houses were built by players who were jailed/banned, etc.) and even then, players who, for example, have to take exams for school and devote a lot of time to that and therefor do not come on the server for 2-3 months (That's how long we have exams at University here), might end up coming back to an empty space.

Greetings,

Honorable Judge Gman

._. exams for 2-3 months... that is a little harsh isn't it what kind of exam are they giving you? "Write text book about the class" exams?

Belgium University is cray cray...

._. exams for 2-3 months... that is a little harsh isn't it what kind of exam are they giving you? "Write text book about the class" exams?

Belgium University is cray cray...

We have 9 exams spread out over 2 months and a week, judging by our preliminary agenda.

Fair enough, that's why I mentioned that Moderators/Management would need to be involved ... It could be as simple as everyone reporting the structures

Problem: We dont have time to take care of griefers and clean up without false positives of others also griefing. You are welcome to put together a group of people and do your best, ensure you advise us that you are doing it. Any reports that come in because of your 'team' cleaning up will need to be answered by your group.

There is no easy way to keep a public server like this perfect, I wish there was.

That's what I thought would be said, yeah I might just go on a bit of an exploration and report a bunch of abandoned things / grief / abandoned doors and chests maybe try to help get the server a bit nicer to look at, if I do attempt to organize anything I'll be sure to let you (Tarquin) or another Managment member (probably LaztChantz) that I was to do anything

We are always welcome to suggestions on how to improve the server. I welcome you if you have any suggestions on how to improve the quality, including any ideas you might be able to put forth regarding Server Clean ups. It is something that has been spoken about frequently and hopefully you've noted that the area near spawn had actually recently been rolled back and cleared of many abandoned or griefed builds.

Also, one thing that could be done would be just following the system is this now, but having some sort of a reward for participating in the cleanup.

I'm not sure how it could work, but people are always more willing to participate if it is some sort of a game with a reward.

Getting rid of anything that is found that is owned by people that haven't been on in 3+ months is probably abandoned, same with anything that was built or left by people banned from the server.

As a way of ensuring that the cleanup activity isn't taken advantage of to distribute more grief to te community you could start some sort of a new rank that identifies established members on the server. OR put up some sort of an application to ensure that people who are actually serious about the cleanup participate and that random players just don't wander the landscape wrecking things.

This idea sounds more like a way to open the door to people griefing and justifying the griefing. I'd imagine we'd get alot of "Well I thought it was abandoned!" comments. It's something we already deal with and that's without giving players the ability to go around "cleaning up". Allowing regular players to "clean up" also opens the doors to players stealing items that do not belong to them, including valuable items such as enchanting tables, and ores.

Please also keep in mind that staff don't get "rewards" for moderating, so giving out rewards for this kind of thing, I can't see being a good thing, and something people would abuse or start getting greedy over. Offering rewards for this kind of task, I feel, would be more likely to encourage fake claims of abandonment.

It was only an idea :P delete this whole thread if you want so no one sees this and gets any ideas...

Just that it's kinda gotten to the point -- especially the nether that everything has been wrecked in one way or another

The nether was recently reset, is there a chance you haven't gone there since the 1.5 update? Both the nether and end were reset at the latest update, so they're both still pretty fresh and new.

I know the nether was reset, but all fortresses have been claimed again and the place I need to build a portal has been claimed as well.

There isn't a problem with the end for me.

The nether is pretty much first come first serve area. Unfortunately we can't constantly reset it when it inconvience a small few. To constantly reset it be unfair to those who work hard to build and claim as quickly as they can.

I know I wasn't suggesting that you reset it again, simply stating that anywhere that I would possibly like to build a portal has been claimed -- got off track there

At the end of the day, we will only endorse a select group of people that you put together, only if none of them have records and their minecraft names are clearly reported to us. Even then we will need to discuss it after we get that list and then decide whether or not we choose to do this or not.

So your saying if I organize a good group of record less players that are willing to do some wandering to help improve the server that you would support us?

So would that we report all sorts of grief related things and you as well as mods/management would deal with it?