Welcome to Abyssal Gaming Network

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

[[Template core/front/global/updateWarning is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WdnSpoon

Disabling explosions for ghasts

Nether (ghast fireball) explosions   15 members have voted

1. 1. Should ghast fireball explosions in the nether be turned off?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 posts in this topic

In the overworld, explosions from creepers clearly aren't destroying anything because this would make it very frustrating to build, plus others might accidentally grief you if someone else sets off a creeper near your house.

In the nether, ghast fireballs still appear to destroy blocks in their explosion + start fires. Could this please be turned off? The nether is woefully underused on this server, in spite of it being totally open, and I think this is the main reason why.

With the server restart, letting us build in the nether without fear of having our creations destroyed would open up many new design possibilities. We could use a lot more materials without having to enclose everything in netherbrick.

I for one would love to set up a piston wart farm out in the open, instead of hiding away in a cave.

I would like to remind you this is a survival server. Creeper explosions were turned off (but could always be turned back on). If you build in the nether you build knowing full well that ghasts can and will attack. If we turn off everything in game this will no longer be a survival server, which is what it was intended to be.

Okay, I know I won't win any point with you for saying this, but I feel like I need to since I notice this a lot: much of what you say comes off as though you're talking down to people. Phrasing it like "I'd like to remind you that this is a survival server" comes off condescending and dismissing the points I laid out as though they're based on some misunderstanding.

I'm well aware that it's survival, which I like. Creepers still kill you and the nether still has other dangers. There were good reasons for disabling creeper explosions and I believe most still apply to ghast fireballs. The server's being restarted because things were so dug up that it was downright ugly around /spawn, yet the nether is almost pristine (aside from a few little bridges people throw in here and there to cross lava and some digging around blaze spawners.) Clearly people are spending very little time there.

Many people do not explore the nether because it is a challenge, but that's what makes it fun. I did not intend to come across as talking down to you but this is merely a fact. The server is survival not creative. Which is why when someone buildings something amazing it means even more. It won't mean much and will be quite boring in my opinion if every type of damage is removed, and the shop sells everything you want. Survival is intended for one to survive and it loses it's meaning the more you turn off, and the more easily accessible items are.

I'm with Lazt on this one, I was much delighted at the fact that Ghast-balls still destroy blocks, It definitely adds challenge to any nether-ventures you intend on having. Also, risking having your creations destroyed(by mobs, griefers suck) in my opinion is all part of the fun of survival.

2 people like this

Maybe the question should be: should creeper explosions be turned back on?

It would make towns more useful, which in turn would make the economy more important. If you know that random mob spawns can ruin your creations unless you get the protected by a town, I think you'll see far fewer complaints about griefers since people won't be building anything in the wild apart from simple camps.

The big part I don't like is how people are avoiding the nether because the overworld because explosions there don't do much (at worst, they kill you and you just type /back and regain everything instantly, only losing $10.)

There's always a chance that creepers are turned on, at this time it's too complicated to do so, however I don't think people are avoiding the nether for this reason, generally people hate dying. Usually trips to the nether are done in groups on the server (as its more of an adventure than a place people want to build).

Let me put it this way, I did not disable creeper explosions for the safety of users. I disabled them for the fact that the MAIN world becomes ugly and griefer-friendly. Towny simply isnt fast enough at blocking them, and often can allow them to explode and destroy portions of towns.

I would happily re-enable them if it weren't for the fact that the world becomes ugly within an hour.

The nether looks ugly from the second you get there. Plus Ghasts are biased, they only destroy certain blocks and can quite easily be blocked, creepers have pathfinding and destroy 98% of blocks when they explode.

1 person likes this