Welcome to Abyssal Gaming Network

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

[[Template core/front/global/updateWarning is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
SpitefulBatman

Server Downtime

13 posts in this topic

For the past 5-6 Days, the server has been crashing a lot. During this time there have been rollbacks (since last save) and a lot of annoyance for everyone involved.

This has pulled me away personally from my life many times to try to resolve quickly, but given the type of issue, nobody on our team is able to prevent this issue.

Because of this, we are upgrading the server a little more and integrating with a more advanced Datacenter network to increase the monitoring occuring on the server. This will allow the ACL Filters (Google it because im waaay too tired) to pickup and block these attacks quickly and efficiently.

For one reason or another, the LDShadowLady server itself seems to be the worst affected, it is unknown why this is, as it is quite literally the only server that does not come back after a lengthy attack occurs.

DDoS is virtually impossible to identify and eliminate quickly without allowing it to run its course. This is why its taking so long, as the attacks aren't large enough to be instantly identified and blocked by the datacenter, but enough to overload the network port and block any further incoming connections.

Finally, I must address a lot of users who have taken it upon themselves to voice opinions on these issues;

The money you pay with premium and VIP is used to fund the ongoing server costs, as well as any upgrades required. Accusing us of turning a profit and not worrying about the state of the server is not only rude but a blatent lie. In the last month alone we have upgraded the SSD and NIC.

As it stands the monthly revenue earned from the premium program does NOT cover the server costs, however I made a promise to affiliates that the funds would else help them, as such I pre-sent several of them their early cuts which are deducted from the total and I cover them myself. I then cover the difference between monthly income and monthly costs personally myself. It does not bother me all that much, and of course I would rather not have to, but this is how it is, and comes with the job.

Anybody on the server, premium vip or member, found to be accusing me or us of not using the money properly, will be banned not only from that server but from the network. It is professionally and personally insulting to see users saying things when they know nothing about what is happening.

2 people like this

I would recommend playing on our public server if you find yourself wanting to play in the same community, and if LDShadowLady's server is down.

1 person likes this

The public server is amazing, I agree with Lazt. :)

The more you know...

Access Control Lists (ACLs)

Access Control List (ACL) are filters that enable you to control which routing updates or packets are permitted or denied in or out of a network. They are specifically used by network administrators to filter traffic and to provide extra security for their networks. This can be applied on routers (Cisco).

ACLs provide a powerful way to control traffic into and out of your network; this control can be as simple as permitting or denying network hosts or addresses. You can configure ACLs for all routed network protocols.

The most important reason to configure ACLs is to provide security for your network. However, ACLs can also be configured to control network traffic based on the TCP port being used.

How ACLs work

A router acts as a packet filter when it forwards or denies packets according to filtering rules. As a Layer 3 device, a packet-filtering router uses rules to determine whether to permit or deny traffic based on source and destination IP addresses, source port and destination port, and the protocol of the packet. These rules are defined using access control lists or ACLs.

To simplify how ACL or a router uses packet filtering work, imagine a guard stationed at a locked door. The guard's instruction is to allow only people whose names appear on a guest list to pass through the door. The guard is filtering people based on the condition of having their names on the authorized list.

When a packet arrives at the router, the router extracts certain information from the packet header and makes decisions according to the filter rules as to whether the packet can pass through or be dropped. Packet filtering process works at the Network layer of the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) model, or the Internet layer of TCP/IP.

post-1105-0-75332100-1340627550.png

that's a whole lot of info

Mostly of which i don't understand yet